Solar San Antonio is a cutting edge non-profit 501(c)(3) organization committed to making solar energy a major contributor to the creation of the new energy economy. SSA, created in 1999 by William Sinkin, is an advocate for the widest possible deployment of solar energy devices in San Antonio.
We are committed to making solar energy accessible to everyone and a major contributor to the creation of the new energy economy.”
Our mission is to connect the private and public sectors through education, innovative marketing, community events, and creative financing programs. We provide direct assistance to homeowners and businesses ready to “go solar” on a daily basis.
We actively encourage the widespread use of solar and other renewable, sustainable energy sources by informing the community about how it benefits the regional economy, environment and human health. We also raise public awareness about supporting public policies that advance solar power and renewable energy.
By providing leadership in renewable energy, we are able to offer information and networking opportunities to the public, public officials, and to the business community. We connect solar energy suppliers and consumers, organize workshops, and act with local, state, and federal organizations to support clean energy options.
SSA’s largest program assisting the public to go solar is the “Bring Solar Home” Campaign. The campaign uses public outreach to connect potential solar adopters with the solar industry.
The program works with the City of San Antonio, local lending institutions, and the local municipally-owned utility CPS Energy to provide the public with information, incentives, and financing options that make it simple and affordable to go solar.
In addition, the education work done by SSA over its thirteen years of operation built the public support that facilitated the process of CPS Energy installing 46 megawatts of centralized solar and signing a contract for 400 additional megawatts of solar.
In honor of SSA founder William Sinkin, CPS Energy dedicated one of its newest solar projects in his namesake. The 19.8 megawatt project, dubbed William R. Sinkin Centennial Solar Farms 1 and 2, will produce enough clean power for an estimated 2,550 average Texas homes annually.
We are an active member of the following organizations:
- The Department of Energy Solar America Cities
- American Solar Energy Society
- Texas Solar Energy Society
- Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association
- Texas State Energy Conservation Office
- USGBC Central Texas Balcones Heights Chapter
- Build San Antonio Green
- 2013 Solar San Antonio is awarded “Advocate of the Year” at the Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association conference
- 2013 Solar San Antonio is awarded “Community Renewable Project of the Year” at the Interstate Renewable Energy Council’s 3iAwards Ceremony
- 2013 Executive Director, Lanny Sinkin, is awarded “Best Local Activist/Watchdog/Nonprofit Leader” in San Antonio Current public survey
- 2011 Executive Director, Lanny Sinkin, honored as one of San Antonio Magazine’s Men of the Year
- 2011 Best Nonprofit in San Antonio Current Reader’s Choice Awards
- 2011 Executive Director, Lanny Sinkin, wins San Antonio Current’s Best Activist/Watchdog in Reader’s Choice Awards
- 2011 Solar San Antonio wins ‘Best Green Award’ in the Downtown Alliance Awards
- 2011 Finalist in the Excellence in Renewable Energy Awards
- 2010 San Antonio Business Journal “40 Under 40” winner, Christine Chapa
- 2010 OneStar Foundation “Governor’s Lonestar Achievement Award” winner, William Sinkin
- 2010 San Antonio Business Journal “Going Green Awards” winner for Green Marketing Campaign
- 2010 Best nonprofit in San Antonio Current Reader’s Choice Awards
- 2010 Executive Director, Lanny Sinkin, wins San Antonio Current Best Activist/Watchdog in Reader’s Choice Awards
- 2010 Finalist in the Business Media Public Relations (#BMPR) Awards
- 2009 Top 100 for USA TODAY #AmericaWants advertisement
- 2009 Sierra Club Lone Star Chapter Special Service Award for Lanny Sinkin & Bill Sinkin
- 2009 American Solar Energy Society Solar Hero Award for Bill Sinkin
- 2009 Founder & Chairman, Bill Sinkin, wins San Antonio Business Journal “Going Green Award”
- 2008 U.S Department of Energy designates San Antonio as a Solar America City
- 2003 U.S. Department of Energy Million Solar Roofs True Champion Award
- 2002 City Public Service Shining Star Award
- 2001 Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association (TREIA) Member of the Year Award